In the world of investing, there is an overwhelming amount of tools and resources to choose from. With so many choices, it can be difficult to decide which to use. Using the right tools is essential when it comes to trading and investing. While there is no such thing as shortcuts, there are resources available that can help increase your chances of success.
After years of research and experience, we have found what’s worth using and what isn’t. Some of the links on this list are affiliate links. However, we only recommend products that we personally use or believe to be beneficial. Below is a list of valuable resources and tools for trading, investing and financial management.
M1 Finance offers automated portfolio management, $0 commissions, and allows you to purchase partial shares. The innovative investing platform created by M1 is genius. The broker allows you to purchase partial shares and they offer commis
Webull is a professional trading platform perfect for swing trading and day trading. They do not charge any commissions and they have advanced features. The mobile app makes it easy to place trades on the go. The trading platform comes with a large assortment of technical and fundamental analysis tools. You can short sell stocks, trade on margin, set alerts, and much more. Webull is intuitive, customizable, and has an advanced yet easy to use interface. It caters to both mobile traders and those who like using a desktop. We love their customer service and well thought out design. CLICK HERE to sign up and get a free stock.
Tastyworks is a great brokerage as well. we prefer to use them for options trading, but you can certainly use them for trading equities and even futures. They do not require a minimum balance for cash accounts and you can use margin with as little as $2,000. The interface does have a mild learning curve and is intended for more advanced traders. They offer low commissions on options and free commission on stocks and ETFs. Their web-based platform works great on almost any computer and they have a mobile app. Learn more
Charting and Analytical Tools
While the brokers mentioned above have great charts and technical analysis tools, using TradingView offers more advantages. It has some of the best charts, indicators, tools and stock screeners available. You can use it in addition to the resources offered by most brokers. You’re able to create multiple dynamic charts to track different markets, stocks, ETFs, and commodities. They offer custom alerts that notify you of trading opportunities or other specified criteria. TradingView allows users to research market conditions, chart possible outcomes and learn new concepts. It’s available for use on desktops and mobile devices. Learn More
Fundamental Indicators & Stock Screener:
Finviz is completely packed full o
HoneyMoney is an innovative and useful financial tool. It’s designed to track your expenses/income, create budgets, and help manage all of your finances. It’s great for those seeking to gain total control over their money. It allows you to create financial goals and find out exactly how much you’re making and spending. It can be used along with excel (you can import historical data from CSV files). HoneyMoney is available both online and through its mobile app. Learn More
Turning paper money into assets like physical gold and silver is a great way to protect your wealth against inflation. Owning silver and gold bullion is better than buying ETFs because holding it guarantees you actually own it. We recommend Silver Gold Bull to anyone looking to buy precious metals and rare coins. They have
When it’s time to file taxes you can trust the software provided by FreeTaxUSA. They are an online tax preparation website that allows you to prepare and e-file your taxes for free. It’s really easy to use and you can file
One of our favorite things to do is read, we’ve read countless finance and trading-related books and still continue to read more every day. We’ve selected a few of founder Duncan Maxfield’s favorites that he recommends to anyone looking to learn more about trading, investing, and personal development.
- The Intelligent Investor – A must-read for value investors. Warren Buffet claims it is “the best book on investing ever written.”
- Options as a Strategic Investment – Considered the bible for many options traders, it is very comprehensive and will answer all your questions about options.
- How Technical Analysis Works – Reading this book is a great way to start learning technical analysis. It was once recommended to me by a fellow trader and now I am recommending it to you.
- Trading in the Zone – A good book focused on trading psychology that can help you remove emotions from your trading.
- Think and Grow Rich – Arguably one of the greatest personal development books ever published. It will help you develop a strong positive financial mindset.
- Get a Financial Life: Personal Finance in Your Twenties and Thirties – an easy to read, inclusive guide to personal finance.
We prefer to use a MacBook Pro for our trading and business needs. The flexibility and high performance that comes with this laptop make it an excellent choice for trading.
Using dual monitors is a downright necessity these days. We use and recommend ASUS as they make beautiful displays perfect for charting.
While we will frequent a coffee shop or cafe most of us drink or bring coffee from home. The official Stocks and Coffee choice for high quality and decently priced coffee beans is Peet’s Coffee: The Original Craft Coffee. Their Major Dickason’s Blend is rich, robust, smooth and delicious. The coffee maker we use and have had the most luck with is the Cuisinart DCC-3200. For the ultimate coffee lover, we highly recommend the Breville Cafe Roma
Here are some of our favorite flicks that are based around the financial markets.
- Wolf of Wall Street – Filled with great scenes and characters, the film depicts the wild side of Wall Street.
- The Big Short – Based on the events that happened around the 2007-2008 financial crisis. It’s dramatic, educational and entertaining.
- Boiler Room – Another film similar to Wolf of Wall Street
that isbased on Jordan Belfort’s misadventures.
- Trading Places – An Eddie Murphy comedy classic that tells a story of a street hustler and upper-class broker whose lives cross paths.
- Wall Street – This 1980’s movie is fascinating and fun to watch. It showcases the mishaps of an infamous and slimy Wall Street tycoon.