In the world of investing, there is an overwhelming amount of tools and resources to choose from. With so many choices, it can be difficult to decide which
After years of research and experience, I have found what’s worth using and what isn’t. Some of the links on this list are affiliate links. However, I only recommend products that I personally use and believe to be beneficial. Below is a list of valuable resources and tools that I use for trading, investing and financial management.
M1 Finance offers automated portfolio management, $0 commissions, and allows you to purchase partial shares. The innovative investing platform created by M1 is genius. While most commission-free brokers don’t offer IRA accounts, M1 Finance does. You can easily create a fully customizable portfolio and automate your contributions. They have excellent customer service and a long list of useful features. When it comes to passive investing, M1 is hard to beat. CLICK HERE to sign up and get a $10 bonus.
Webull is one of the only professional trading platforms that doesn’t charge commissions. It has more advanced features than any other commission-free broker. The trading platform comes with a large assortment of technical and fundamental analysis tools. You can short sell stocks, trade on margin, set alerts, and much more. Webull is intuitive, customizable, and has an advanced yet easy to use interface. It caters to both mobile traders and those who like using a desktop. I love their customer service and well thought out design. CLICK HERE to sign up and get a free stock.
Tastyworks is a great brokerage as well. I prefer to use them for options trading, but you can certainly use them for trading equities and even futures. They do not require a minimum balance for cash accounts and you can use margin with as little as $2,000. The interface does has a mild learning curve and is intended for more advanced traders. They offer low commissions (not free) and excellent customer support. Their web-based platform works great on almost any computer and they have a mobile app. Learn more
Charting and Analytical Tools
While the brokers mentioned above have great charts and technical analysis tools, using TradingView offers more advantages. It has some of the best charts, indicators, tools and stock screeners available. I use it in addition to the resources offered by my brokers. You can create multiple dynamic charts to track different markets, stocks, ETFs, and commodities. You can set up custom alerts that notify you of trading opportunities or other specified criteria. TradingView allows users to research market conditions, chart possible outcomes and learn new concepts. It’s available for use on desktops and mobile devices. Learn More
Fundamental Indicators & Stock Screener:
Finviz is completely packed full with useful information and resources. It conveniently displays the top gainers/losers, highest volume, major news, market maps and more. It shows a snapshot of important economic releases, insider buying/selling, futures prices, forex quotes, and bond prices. It’s widely used for its free and comprehensive stock screener as well. It’s a great tool to quickly find out the fundamental and technical metrics of a stock. Finviz lets you see the big picture of how the market is doing and what stocks are moving.
HoneyMoney is an innovative and useful financial tool. It’s designed to track your expenses/income, create budgets, and help manage all of your finances. It’s great for those seeking to gain total control over their money. It allows you to create financial goals and find out exactly how much you’re making and spending. I use it along with excel (you can import historical data from CSV files). HoneyMoney can be used both online and through its mobile app. Learn More
Turning paper money into assets like physical gold and silver is a great way to protect your wealth against inflation. Owning silver and gold bullion is better than buying ETFs because holding it guarantees you actually own it. I use and recommend Silver Gold Bull to anyone looking to buy precious metals and rare coins. They have a best price guarantee and will match competitors prices. The selection is superior and their customer service is top-notch. It’s always a good time to start buying real assets and build a precious metal portfolio. Learn More
When it’s time to file taxes I use the software provided by FreeTaxUSA. They are an online tax preparation website that allows you to prepare and e-file your taxes for free. It’s really easy to use and you can file self-employed income. They even give users a 100% accuracy guarantee. FreeTaxUSA is a member of the IRS Free File Alliance and is an authorized IRS e-file provider. Learn more
One of my favorite things to do is read, I’ve read countless finance and trading
- The Intelligent Investor – A must-read for value investors. Warren Buffet claims it is “the best book on investing ever written.”
- Options as a Strategic Investment – Considered the bible for many options traders, it is very comprehensive and will answer all your questions about options.
- How Technical Analysis Works – Reading this book is a great way to start learning technical analysis. It was once recommended to me by a fellow trader and now I am recommending it to you.
- Trading in the Zone – A good book focused on trading psychology that can help you remove emotions from your trading.
- Think and Grow Rich – Arguably one of the greatest personal development books ever published. It will help you develop a strong positive financial mindset.
- Get a Financial Life: Personal Finance in Your Twenties and Thirties – an easy to read, inclusive guide to personal finance.
I prefer to use a MacBook Pro for my trading and business needs. The flexibility and high performance that comes with this laptop makes it an excellent choice for trading.
Using dual monitors is a downright necessity these days. I use and recommend ASUS as they make beautiful displays perfect for charting.
While I will frequent a coffee shop or cafe I do most of my coffee drinking at home. My choice for high quality and decently priced coffee beans is Peet’s Coffee: The Original Craft Coffee. Their Major Dickason’s Blend is rich, robust, smooth and delicious. The coffee maker that I use and have had the most luck with is the Cuisinart DCC-3200. For the ultimate coffee lover, I highly recommend the Breville Cafe Roma
Here are some of my favorite flicks that are based around the financial markets.
- Wolf of Wall Street – Filled with great scenes and characters, the film depicts the wild side of Wall Street.
- The Big Short – Based on the events that happened around the 2007-2008 financial crisis. It’s dramatic, educational and entertaining.
- Boiler Room – Another film similar to Wolf of Wall Street
that isbased on Jordan Belfort’s misadventures.
- Trading Places – An Eddie Murphy comedy classic that tells a story of a street hustler and upper-class broker whose lives cross paths.
- Wall Street – This 1980’s movie is fascinating and fun to watch. It showcases the mishaps of an infamous and slimy Wall Street tycoon.